TVA in North Carolina
FISCAL YEAR 2015 (OCTOBER 2014 - SEPTEMBER 2015)
- In fiscal year 2015, TVA sold more than 775 million kilowatt-hours of electricity to one municipal utility and three cooperatively owned utilities that distribute TVA power in North Carolina—Murphy Power Board, Blue Ridge Mountain Electric Membership Corp., Tri-State Membership Corp. and Mountain Electric Cooperative.
- The local power companies served more than 33,000 households, with sales of more than 371 million kilowatt-hours in six North Carolina counties in 2015.
- Local power companies distributed TVA power to approximately 8,800 commercial and industrial customers, with sales of almost 236 million kilowatt-hours. In addition, distributors in North Carolina sold over 7.9 million kilowatt-hours to outdoor lighting customers.
- TVA revenues in North Carolina totaled more than $58 million in 2015.
- TVA serves the North Carolina counties of Avery, Burke, Cherokee, Clay, McDowell and Watauga.
- The TVA service area in North Carolina covers a total of 5,535 square miles, about 6 percent of TVA’s territory. This includes an electricity service area of 653 square miles and a watershed management area of 5,475 square miles.
Power Generation and Transmission
- TVA owns and operates four hydroelectric dams in North Carolina with a combined generation capacity of 523 megawatts. The dams are Apalachia and Hiwassee in Cherokee County; Chatuge in Clay County; and Fontana in Swain and Graham counties.
- TVA coordinates operations at four projects in western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee owned by Brookfield Renewable Energy.
- TVA owns or maintains 11 substations and switchyards and 119 miles of transmission line in North Carolina.
Land and Water Stewardship
- TVA manages four reservoirs in western North Carolina—Apalachia, Fontana, Hiwassee and a portion of Chatuge. These reservoirs have a combined surface area of nearly 21,000 acres and about 530 miles of shoreline in North Carolina.
- North Carolina residents enjoy camping, fishing, boating, swimming and other recreational opportunities provided by the reservoirs, as well as economic benefits of recreation and tourism. TVA maintains four day-use areas on the reservoirs and 13 stream access sites.
- The TVA visitor center at Fontana Dam welcomed over 51,700 visitors in 2015.
- TVA manages recreational and cultural resources on more than 1,500 acres of public land around reservoirs in North Carolina and partners with state, local and regional stakeholders to improve water quality, shoreline conditions, recreation and biodiversity in these reservoirs and their tributaries.
- TVA maintains the structural, seismic and hydraulic integrity of four dams in North Carolina.
- TVA operates the dams and reservoirs in North Carolina as part of an integrated multi-purpose reservoir system to provide numerous stakeholders a variety of benefits which can include: navigation, flood risk reduction, low-cost hydropower, water supply and recreational opportunities.
- Sixteen municipalities, 13 industries and 17 mining companies in North Carolina draw water from the Tennessee River system. Water also is drawn for power plant cooling and irrigation.
Other TVA Operations
North Carolina households had 102,246 kilowatt-hours of electric energy efficiency savings resulting from the completion of 54 eScore measures and 40 self-audits taken online or by paper survey.
Twenty-three TVA employees and about 221 TVA retirees and their families live in North Carolina.
Tax Equivalent Payments
TVA paid about $2.9 million in lieu of taxes to North Carolina in 2015, based on power sales and power property values in the state.
TVA works with local power companies, directly served customers, and regional, state and community organizations to create economic development opportunities for the TVA region. Economic development focuses on attracting and retaining jobs, capital investment and serving and supporting communities to prepare for economic growth.
In fiscal year 2015, TVA purchased $13.6 million in nonfuel materials and services from North Carolina vendors.