August 14, 2008
Placement of fill
Tennessee River mile 464.5R on Nickajack Reservoir, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Notice is hereby given that TVA, in accordance with Section 26a of the TVA Act, proposes to permit the placement of approximately 3,800 cubic yards of fill in order to enable construction of luxury condominiums at 600 River Street, in downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee. The location of the proposed fill and development is adjacent to Tennessee River mile 464.5R on Nickajack Reservoir.
The fill is necessary in order to bring the elevation of the proposed condominiums to a minimum of two feet above the 100-year flood elevation so that the proposed development will be in compliance with the City of Chattanooga’s floodplain ordinance. The areas around the building and parking areas will also be brought above the 100-year floodplain.
The fill would be located within the limits of the Tennessee River 100-year floodplain and is therefore subject to the requirements of Presidential Executive Order 11988 on Floodplain Management. In order to construct the luxury condominiums, there is no practicable alternative to placing the fill within the 100-year floodplain.
All practicable design measures to minimize harm to the floodplain have been identified and would be required by TVA. These measures include requirements that:
- No additional fill beyond that needed for construction of the condominiums, areas around the building, and parking areas would be placed in the 100-year floodplain.
- The finished floor of the condominiums would be elevated a minimum of two feet above the 100-year flood elevation.
- Best management practices would be used during placement of fill (and construction of the condominiums).
TVA has concluded that the proposed project is consistent with Executive Order 11988 because:
- There is no practicable alternative to locating in the floodplain.
- The proposed project would be designed to minimize to the extent practicable harm to or within the floodplain.
- The proposed project would conform with applicable state and local floodplain regulations.
- Identifiable impacts to the floodplain are negligible.
All written comments on this proposed action must be received on or before August 28, 2008, and should be directed to:
TVA Chickamauga - Hiwassee Watershed Team
1101 Market Street, PSC 1E
Chattanooga, TN 37402-2801