Section 26a of the TVA Act
Subpart B: Regulation of Nonnavigable Houseboats
1304.100 Scope and intent
1304.101 Nonnavigable houseboats
1304.102 Numbering of nonnavigable houseboats and transfer of ownership
1304.103 Approval of plans for structural modifications or rebuilding of approved nonnavigable houseboats
§ 1304.100 Scope and intent
This subpart prescribes regulations governing existing nonnavigable houseboats that are moored, anchored, or installed in TVA reservoirs. No new nonnavigable houseboats shall be moored, anchored, or installed in any TVA reservoir.
§ 1304.101 Nonnavigable houseboats
(a) Any houseboat failing to comply with the following criteria shall be deemed a nonnavigable houseboat and may not be moored, anchored, installed, or operated in any TVA reservoir except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section:
(1) Built on a boat hull or on two or more pontoons;
(2) Equipped with a motor and rudder controls located at a point on the houseboat from which there is forward visibility over a 180-degree range;
(3) Compliant with all applicable state and federal requirements relating to vessels;
(4) Registered as a vessel in the state of principal use; and
(5) State registration numbers clearly displayed on the vessel.
(b) Nonnavigable houseboats approved by TVA prior to February 15, 1978, shall be deemed existing houseboats and may remain on TVA reservoirs provided they remain in compliance with the rules contained in this part. Such houseboats shall be moored to mooring facilities contained within the designated and approved harbor limits of a commercial marina. Alternatively, provided the owner has obtained written approval from TVA pursuant to subpart A of this part authorizing mooring at such location, nonnavigable houseboats may be moored to the bank of the reservoir at locations where the owner of the houseboat is the owner or lessee (or the licensee of such owner or lessee) of the proposed mooring location, and at locations described by §1304.201(a)(1), (2), and (3).
All nonnavigable houseboats must be moored in such a manner as to:
(1) Avoid obstruction of or interference with navigation, flood control, public lands or reservations;
(2) Avoid adverse effects on public lands or reservations;
(3) Prevent the preemption of public waters when moored in permanent locations outside of the approved harbor limits of commercial marinas;
(4) Protect land and landrights owned by the United States alongside and subjacent to TVA reservoirs from trespass and other unlawful and unreasonable uses; and
(5) Maintain, protect, and enhance the quality of the human environment.
(c) All approved nonnavigable houseboats with toilets must be equipped as follows with a properly installed and operating Marine Sanitation Device (MSD) or Sewage Holding Tank and pumpout capability:
(1) Nonnavigable houseboats moored on “Discharge Lakes” must be equipped with a Type I or Type II MSD.
(2) Nonnavigable houseboats moored in: “No Discharge Lakes” must be equipped with holding tanks and pumpout capability. If a nonnavigable houseboat moored in a “No Discharge Lake” is equipped with a Type I or Type II MSD, it must be secured to prevent discharge into the lake.
(d) Approved nonnavigable houseboats shall be maintained in a good state of repair. Such houseboats may be structurally repaired or rebuilt without additional approval from TVA, but any expansion in length, width, or height is prohibited except as approved in writing by TVA.
(e) All nonnavigable houseboats shall comply with the requirements for flotation devices contained in §1304.400.
(f) Applications for mooring of a nonnavigable houseboat outside of designated harbor limits will be disapproved if TVA determines that the proposed mooring location would be contrary to the intent of this subpart.
§ 1304.102 Numbering of nonnavigable houseboats and transfer of ownership
(a) All approved nonnavigable houseboats shall display a number assigned by TVA. The owner of the nonnavigable houseboat shall paint or attach a facsimile of the number on a readily visible part of the outside of the facility in letters at least 3 inches high.
(b) The transferee of any nonnavigable houseboat approved pursuant to the regulations in this subpart shall, within thirty (30) days of the transfer transaction, report the transfer to TVA.
(c) A nonnavigable houseboat moored at a location approved pursuant to the regulations in this subpart shall not be relocated and moored at a different location without prior approval by TVA, except for movement to a new location within the designated harbor limits of a commercial dock or marina.
§ 1304.103 Approval of plans for structural modifications or rebuilding of approved nonnavigable houseboats
Plans for the structural modification, or rebuilding of an approved nonnavigable houseboat shall be submitted to TVA for review and approval in advance of any structural modification which would increase the length, width, height, or flotation of the structure.