TVA in Alabama
Fiscal Year 2014 (October 2013 – September 2014)
- In fiscal year 2014, TVA sold 18.4 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity to 17 municipal and eight cooperatively owned utilities that distribute TVA power in Alabama.
- More than 487,000 households in 17 northern Alabama counties bought more than 7.9 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity from the utilities in 2014.
- Over 98,000 commercial and industrial customers in Alabama purchased about 9.4 billion kilowatt-hours. In addition, utilities in Alabama sold over 226 million kilowatt-hours to outdoor-lighting customers.
- Alabama is home to 11 directly served customers of TVA that purchased over 5.5 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity in fiscal year 2014.
- TVA’s power revenues in Alabama totaled more than $1.6 billion in 2014, or about 14.5 percent of TVA operating revenues.
- Local power companies who distribute TVA power serve the following Alabama counties: Calhoun, Cherokee, Colbert, Cullman, DeKalb, Etowah, Franklin, Jackson, Jefferson, Lauderdale, Lawrence, Limestone, Madison, Marion, Marshall, Morgan and Winston.
- The TVA service area in Alabama covers about 8,980 square miles, about 10 percent of TVA’s territory and 17 percent of Alabama. This includes an electricity service area of 8,658 square miles and a watershed management area of 6,828 square miles.
Power Generation and Transmission
- In Alabama, TVA operates three hydroelectric dams (Guntersville, Wheeler and Wilson), two coal-fired generating plants (Widows Creek and Colbert), one nuclear power plant (Browns Ferry), and one natural gas-fueled combustion turbine site (Colbert).
- TVA operates two solar facilities in Alabama - a 23-kilowatt site at the Huntsville Botanical Gardens and a 25-kilowatt site at the Florence wastewater treatment facility.
- TVA owns or maintains 79 substations and switchyards and 2,395 miles of transmission line in Alabama.