TVA Transformer Move May Cause Traffic Delays Friday, Oct. 2
Oct. 1, 2009
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – Traffic delays may occur on Friday, Oct. 2, as TVA moves a large transformer to the Rutherford Substation site in Rockvale.
The last in a series of four transformers will be transported by trailer from the rail yard in Murfreesboro to the substation site. The 300-ton oversized trailer and transformer will leave the rail yard after 9 a.m. and is expected to take about seven hours to complete the 19-mile route.
Although TVA and its contractors will try to minimize disruptions as much as possible, temporary traffic delays are expected to occur along the transport route. The route has been coordinated with local utilities and state, county and local officials.
Safety of the public and workers performing the move, as well as protection of property and equipment, are the primary concerns. Safety escort vehicles with warning flags and lights will accompany the trailers along the entire route, and local law enforcement will accompany the trailers along the route within Murfreesboro municipal boundaries.
Once the substation begins operating next spring, the transformers will convert electricity from 500 kilovolts (kV) to 161 kV and transmit it on TVA’s 161-kV transmission system to distributors of TVA power and direct-served TVA customers.
The Rutherford transmission improvement project includes the construction of a new 500-kV substation on about 60 acres of land in the Rockvale area, plus about 55 miles of new connecting transmission lines. The new facilities will provide continued reliable power for the growing Middle Tennessee area, which is projected to outgrow the current transmission system in 2010.
The delivery route for the transformer begins at the railroad at 2668 Stevenson Drive in Murfreesboro. From there the trailer will:
- Go north on Stevenson Drive about 0.2 mile.
- Turn left (west) onto Butler Drive, which becomes Warrior Drive, for about 2 miles.
- Turn left (south) onto state Route 99 for 3.2 miles,
- Bear right onto Salem Road (west) for about 0.5 mile.
- Turn right (north) onto Rucker Lane for about 2.4 miles.
- Turn left (west) onto state Route 96/Franklin Road for 1.2 miles.
- Turn right (north) onto Veterans Parkway (formerly Beesley Road) for 1.2 miles.
- Turn left (west) onto Shores Drive for 2.3 miles.
- Turn left (south) onto Puckett Road for 0.9 mile.
- Turn right (west) onto state Route 96 for 0.2 mile.
- Turn left (south) onto Coleman Hill Road for 4.3 miles.
TVA is the nation’s largest public power provider and is completely self-financing. TVA provides power to large industries and 158 power distributors that serve approximately 9 million consumers in seven southeastern states. TVA also creates economic development opportunities and manages the Tennessee River and its tributaries to provide multiple benefits, including flood damage reduction, navigation, water quality and recreation.
Myra Ireland, Chattanooga, (423) 751-7153; (423) 413-5971
TVA News Bureau, Knoxville, (865) 632-6000