Make A Bigger Impact - Southeastern RECs From Green Power Switch!
TVA has offered its Green Power Switch renewable energy option to residents and businesses across the Tennessee Valley for over ten years. During this time, over 11,000 households and 500 businesses have elected to reduce the environmental impact of their energy usage. Around the nation, companies have influenced a trend towards larger and larger purchases of renewable energy. Today, thousands of corporate and institutional customers are buying Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) to help reduce their environmental impact.
During 2013, TVA will be working with select power distributors to test a high-volume Green Power Switch option—Southeastern RECs. Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) are an environmental commodity that represents the environmental attributes of renewable energy. Southeastern means the renewable energy is generated in this region.
Renewable energy facilities generate one REC for every megawatt-hour of electricity they create. The purchase of a REC transfers the legal right to the renewable energy attributes from the energy generator to you, the customer.
Purchasing RECs is one way for a company to meet its organizational goals of responsible use of the earth’s natural resources. There are many reasons for a company to set sustainability goals:
- To reduce the environmental footprint of your electricity consumption
- To support renewable energy development
- To differentiate your brand from the competition
- To generate customer, investor, or stakeholder loyalty and employee pride
- To create positive publicity and enhance public image
- To demonstrate civic leadership
Green Power Switch Southeastern RECs not only gives your organization the ability to make renewable energy claims but also demonstrates to your customers and stakeholders that you are a supporter of regional green initiatives. Depending upon the size of your purchase, you may be eligible for our robust recognition program which is designed to ensure that others are aware of your commitment.
Since this is a pilot, there is a possibility that Southeastern RECs will not be available after the year-long test period. All customer purchases made during the pilot period will be honored in full even if the pilot is discontinued. If you would like to see this low priced, high-volume option grow and become a Valley-wide program, sign up today! If you aren’t in one of the test regions but still want your voice to be heard, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your feedback will be considered when we evaluate the pilot.
It’s easy to learn more and enroll
Green Power Switch Southeastern RECs is sold in blocks of 1 MWh, with a minimum purchase of 2,000 MWh annually. Each MWh is sold for $3 each. The purchase amount is added to your electric bill.
Currently this new pilot is only available in a limited number of regions. If your company is served by one of the power companies listed below and you would like to join the thousands of corporate and institutional customers who are buying RECs to help reduce their environmental impact, or if you would like to learn more about this pilot program, please contact us at email@example.com or the contact information provided by your power company and we will notify them of your interest:
- Bowling Green Municipal Utilities
- Chattanooga Electric Power Board
- Knoxville Utilities Board
- Lenoir City Utilities Board
- Oak Ridge Electric Department
To find out how you can enroll or more information, please contact your local power company or email TVA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What is the target market for Southeastern RECs? Are there any eligibility requirements for this option?
- Because the minimum purchase means an annual investment of $6,000 (2,000 REC at $3 each), the expected audience for this Green Power Switch option is large corporations and institutions—any customer that wishes to commit to the minimum purchase amount.
- What is the cost difference between the Green Power Switch Southeastern REC and the original Green Power Switch option?
- The Southeastern REC option costs $3 per REC. Each REC represents 1,000 kWh of renewable power.
Green Power Switch- Southeastern REC
$3 per REC
1 REC = 1,000 kWh
Green Power Switch (Original)
$4 per block
1 block = 150 kWh
1 – 375 blocks, based on energy consumption
- Where do the RECs for Green Power Switch Southeastern RECs come from?
- The RECs come from renewable energy generation sources in the southeast energy market (defined by the SERC Reliability Corporation) which includes the entire TVA service territory. The energy resources are currently from independently owned low-impact hydro, but the supply options will include all Green-e certifiable resources within the SERC region. Each year Green Power Switch discloses to customers the generation sources used to supply the program in its Product Content Label.
- How long will Green Power Switch Southeastern REC be available?
- Southeastern RECs is currently a pilot program and is scheduled to be available during calendar year 2013. The program is being monitored to determine if it should be extended and made widely available.
- What if my Power Distributor does not offer Green Power Switch Southeastern RECs?
- The interest of large corporations and institutions is a factor used in expanding Green Power Switch Southeastern REC availability. Let us know of your interest in this or similar green offerings by contacting your local power company or contacting TVA at www.greenpowerswitch.com or 1-866-673-4340.
- Is Green Power Switch Southeastern RECs certified?
- Yes. Like the original Green Power Switch Block product, Green Power Switch Southeastern RECs is Green-e Energy certified®.
- Where can I learn more about RECs?
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency published an informative primer on Renewable Energy Certificates, available here.