Green Power Switch News
Vol. 5, No. 4 Winter 2006
Lower your energy costs
Top 10 No-Cost Steps You Can
Take Right Now
- Turn down your heating system’s thermostat to 68°F during the day. Turn it down even lower when no one is home for several days.
- Lower your water heater temperature
to 120°F and reduce hot
water use by taking shorter
showers and using cold water
for laundry whenever possible.
- Turn off lights, televisions, and
computers when not in use.
- Remove and recycle your second
- Keep curtains open on the south
side of the house and closed on
the north side during the day.
- Clean refrigerator coils and set
the temperature to 36° to 39°F
and the freezer to 0° to 5°F.
- Make sure the fireplace damper
is closed when not in use. Don’t
send warm air up the chimney.
- Match the size of your pot or
pan to the size of the stove
burner and cover it with a lid
- Once a year, drain about one
gallon of water from your water
heater to remove sediment.
- Air-dry dishes instead of using the
dishwasher’s heat drying option.
Top 10 Low-Cost Steps
- Caulk and weatherstrip around
windows and doors to stop air
leaks. Seal any gaps in floors
and walls around pipes and
- Change filters monthly, or install
a “filter whistle” to let you know
when to change them.
- 3. Replace incandescent bulbs with
- Repair air leaks and seal and
insulate heating system ductwork.
- Add insulation to your attic,
crawl space, and any accessible
exterior walls. Add pipe insulation
to the first five feet of water pipe
coming from your water heater.
Install light switch and electrical
outlet seals on exterior walls.
- Install an ENERGY STAR®
appropriate for your type of
heating system and set it at
68°F for heating.
- Look for the ENERGY STAR
label when replacing large or
- Wrap your water heater with
insulation or install an insulating
- Install aerating low-flow faucets
and showerheads and repair
- Use power strips for home
electronics, and turn off power
strips when equipment is not
in use. TVs and DVD players,
etc., still use power when
Green Power Switch News Archive