Colbert Fossil Plant
What TVA is doing about emissions at Colbert
TVA has taken a number of steps to make the efficient generation of power at Colbert as clean as possible:
- Ash from the burned coal is removed and used commercially when possible. The remaining ash is disposed of on-site.
- Colbert burns low-sulfur coal to limit emissions of sulfur dioxide.
- Low-NOx burners limit emissions of nitrogen oxides.
- Colbert Unit 5 operates a selective catalytic reduction system to further reduce nitrogen oxide emissions by about 90 percent.
- In support of recent environmental agreements and its vision of being one of the nation’s leading providers of low-cost and cleaner energy by 2020, TVA will control, idle or retire Colbert unit 5 by Dec. 31, 2015. Units 1 through 4 will be controlled, idled or retired by June 30, 2016. Any Colbert units that are idled will be controlled or retired within three years.
Toxics Release Inventory
All amounts are in pounds
|Hydrochloric Acid (aerosol)||280,000||0||0||0||280,000|
|Sulfuric Acid (aerosol)||25,000||0||0||0||25,000|
|Polycyclic Aromatic Compounds||16||0||5||0||21|
|Gross MWh Generated:||5,189,877|
|Pounds Released per MWh:||0.407|