Bull Run Fossil Plant
What TVA is doing about emissions at Bull Run
TVA has taken a number of steps to make the efficient generation of power at Bull Run as clean as possible:
- The use of low-sulfur coal from eastern Kentucky reduces emissions of sulfur dioxide.
- A scrubber that began operating in December 2008 is further reducing sulfur dioxide emissions by 95 percent.
- The plant is equipped with electrostatic precipitators that capture ash from the burning coal.
- Boiler optimization controls, which burn the coal more thoroughly and efficiently, limit the production of nitrogen oxides.
- A selective catalytic reduction system further reduces nitrogen oxide emissions by about 90 percent.
Toxics Release Inventory
All amounts are in pounds
|Hydrochloric Acid (aerosol)||44,000||0||0||0||44,000|
|Sulfuric Acid (aerosol)||69,000||0||0||0||69,000|
|Polycyclic Aromatic Compounds||8||0||3||0||11|
|Gross MWh Generated:||2,970,440|
|Pounds Released per MWh:||0.213|