Frequently Asked Questions
1. I have an immediate response question about TVA’s hiring process. How can I contact TVA?
Please do not call or email about the status of your job application or interview. TVA automatically sends an email to each applicant when they have successfully applied for a job. For status of job applications, TVA will send out electronic notifications when a job has been filled only and the time frame for this process varies. If you have questions that do not concern the status of your application or the possibility of receiving an interview for jobs you have applied for, please E-mail us at email@example.com. If the question cannot be answered via email, call our toll-free number at 866-620-8010 and leave a voice message regarding your specific issue that is not covered in the FAQ section. This line is not staffed and voice messages are returned from 10-11 AM and 2-3 PM Mon-Friday, excluding federal holidays. For technical application issues on our website, you may email us at ATS@tva.gov.
2. Can I apply for a position by sending a hard copy of my resume through the U.S. mail?
No. The only way to apply for a TVA position is to establish an online account, input your resume, and apply online. TVA does not accept mailed, faxed, or e-mailed resumes.
3. I don’t have an e-mail account. Does this mean that I cannot apply for positions with TVA?
You will need an e-mail account to establish an account or to apply for a position. E-mail is our way of communicating with you to let you know we have received your application for a specific position, tell you about job opportunities, and provide other information. If you do not have access to e-mail and want to establish an account, there are several free e-mail services available on the Internet. You can go to any search engine (e.g.,Yahoo, Google, Hot Mail, etc.) and type “free e-mail” to get a listing of the Web sites that provide this service.
4. I've forgotten my password for my online account. How can I log in ?
On the main login screen for your account, click on the prompt that says, “Forgot your password?” Follow that link. You will be asked to enter the e-mail address that you set up when you created your account. You will receive an e-mail reminding you of your password, and will then be able to log in.
Please record your ID and password for future use. Set up only one account per individual to ensure that your information is correctly maintained with your name.
5. How can I get information on the status of the jobs for which I have applied?
Check your application history online by logging into your online account and clicking on the View History link. You will see a list of the positions for which you applied. Only positions currently posted will show on your history summary.
6. If I apply for more than one position, can I use a different resume for each position?
Yes. The online system allows you to change your resume any time you want. You can tailor your resume to focus on education, skills, and work experience that might be the most appropriate for the job you’re applying for. However, we recommend that you stay with one comprehensive, detailed resume that accurately reflects all of your education and work experience.
7. Can I save different versions of my resume in my account?
Your online account will store only one version of your resume. So the last one that you saved is the one that will be available to you the next time you access your account. If you feel the need to have more than one version of your resume, we suggest that you save a text version on a disk or on your computer.
8. I have work samples and letters of recommendation that I’d like to submit with my resume, but I don't see any way to do that. How can I get these to you?
We recommend that you keep such materials and make them available to the interview panel if you are contacted to come for an interview.
9. If the job I am applying for requires that I
submit documents (transcripts, certificates, work authorization documents,
etc.), how do I submit them?
If documents are requested, e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to indicate the job number (example: 1000001476) of the position in the Subject line of your e-mail so the documents can be linked to the correct position for which you are applying.
Only if you are unable to e-mail the documents, you may mail them to TVA Staffing and Recruiting, 1101 Market St., LP 3A, Chattanooga, TN 37402. The required documents MUST be received by the closing date of the position to be considered. Non-receipt of the required documentation, as requested, may result in disqualification of your application.
10. How do I claim veterans’ preference for a TVA position?
To claim veterans’ preference for a specific position, appropriate veterans’ documentation must be received by the closing date of the position. See Claiming Veterans’ Preference for details.
11. I am a U.S. veteran. How do I submit my DD-214 and, if claiming disability status, a letter from U.S. Veterans Affairs showing the percentage of disability?
By the closing date of the position on which you are applying, you must e-mail your veterans' documents (Form DD 214, letter from the Department of Veteran Affairs, if claiming disability) to Veteran@tva.gov. Only if you are unable to e-mail the document(s), you may mail a copy to : TVA Staffing and Recruiting, 1101 Market St., LP-3A, Chattanooga, TN 37402. The required document(s) MUST be received by the closing date of the position to be considered.
For more details, including how to request an extension for submitting veterans' documents, see Claiming Veterans’ Preference.
12. Once I have applied for a position and have submitted my veterans' documents, do I need to submit them again when I apply on future positions?
No. Once you submit your military documents, they will be kept on file and applied to all future positions on which you apply. See Claiming Veterans' Preference.
13. What is the best way to format my resume to ensure an accurate evaluation of my qualifications?
If you do not already have a properly formatted resume, we recommend that you use the step-by-step process in the online Resume Builder. The result is a chronologically formatted resume that lists your education near the top of the resume and your work history next, starting with the most recent or current job.
If you choose to paste in an existing resume, we encourage you to use a chronological format rather than a functional format. See tips on writing a resume (PDF).
14. If I decide to paste in a full-text version of a resume instead of using the online Resume Builder, are there any formatting tips that you can provide?
Yes. We recommend the following:
- Arrange your information chronologically
- Keep it clean and simple
- Avoid using italics, boldface, tabs, or other formatting commands
- Use hyphens (-) or asterisks (*) instead of bullets
- Align your text on the left.
Be sure to check your resume over before your submit it. You may have misspelled words or put line breaks and indentations in unexpected places. Once you log in to your account, click Edit Resume. You will have the opportunity to edit your resume or paste in a new one.
15. I just submitted my resume for a position. What happens to my resume and how long does it take?
All applicants’ qualifications are reviewed for applicability to position requirements to determine which resumes will be forwarded to hiring managers for interview consideration. The recruiting and selection process can take several months.
For craft training programs and apprenticeships, all applicants’ qualifications are first reviewed to determine who meets the eligibility factors as required by the position. The next review determines who will be invited to take a pre-qualifying test. The recruiting and selection process for craft training programs and apprenticeships take approximately six months.
16. Am I guaranteed an interview if I apply for a position?
No. All applicants’ qualifications are reviewed for applicability to the position requirements to determine which resumes will be forwarded in the selection process.
17. If my contact information has changed, how can I update it?
With your online account, you can update your contact information 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Once you make updates, your new information is available to us. It is your responsibility to make all changes and keep your contact information up to date.
18. How long will my account stay active? Is there something that I have to do to make sure that it stays active?
Once you establish an online account, it will stay active. However, please do not confuse this with applying for a position. You must apply for each job you are seeking.
19. How often are new positions posted on the TVA web site?
New positions are posted as they become available, usually several times a week. If you don’t want to miss out on the latest postings, we suggest that you create an account and establish a job search agent. It will notify you when TVA posts a position that matches the search criteria you established. Job Search Agents must be renewed every 30 days. You must then apply on the position.
20. I am planning on separating/retiring from the military. When should I begin applying on positions?
If you are interested in TVA’s technical training programs and apprenticeships, we suggest you apply on those jobs at least six to nine months before you leave the military. If you are interested in other TVA opportunities, apply at least six months before your separation or retirement.
21. I am interested in learning more about TVA’s training opportunities.
TVA's training programs and apprenticeships pages include a description of the work, educational requirements for each program, and salaries. Also see the Training & Development Web site.
TVA is an Equal Opportunity employer and complies with all applicable laws and regulations regarding equal employment opportunities.
Non-U.S. residents should read TVA's Citizenship Policy.
Individuals interested in claiming veterans’ preference should read the Information for Claiming Veterans’ Preference.